Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Joys of Motherhood.

This morning, as my husband and I walked through the parking lot at church- we discussed the fact that unlike many women in my situation (battling infertility) I still have so much joy on mothers day.

Then, as if to confirm the thought, two young men who spent time with us in Haiti stopped and leaned out the window to say "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!"

It really doesn't matter if I ever bear my own children. I wouldn't trade a single one of my "adopted" kids for anything in the world. I honestly could not imagine a natural child bringing me any more joy than those boys who were my "sons" for two weeks.

We were soon talking about how as Christians, when we learn to die to ourselves, to offer our own dreams and desires to God that we might be used for him, he always fills us with so much more than we could have imagined!

I do a lot of things wrong in life. The list could fill books... But I am so thankful that out of all the lessons I could have learned early in life- the ability to rejoice with others, even when I didn't receive the gift, was one that was driven home in my heart.

Some women without babies can't handle being around babies. I continually tell my friends that since I can't have kids, I'm requiring them to keep a steady supply of babies for me to snuggle and kiss. (They're doing pretty good so far) and I am SO glad that I can enjoy their children the way I can.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I know there is no power in myself that can bring about this heart. You did it in me. Your truths chase out the lies that could be snatching joy from my life. And thank you, Jesus, for giving me my "boys". And thank you, more than anything, that you put it in their hearts to call me Mom. You knew that was just what my heart needed. You are SO faithful!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I often feel the same way about "my kids"

God blesses us :)

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Oh, so beautiful! :) Thank so much for stopping by my blog. I love your heart, and would be blessed to share your testimony in my encouragement series, if you are willing. I love your perspective, and am so glad you are filled with Christ's joy!
Blessings to you!
Michele