Tuesday, August 2, 2011

[snapping beans] August 1, 2011



After twenty minutes in the bright sun of the garden we slowly walked toward the house with piles of beans balancing in overflowing baskets. I started water to boil and Lizzy and I sat across from each other as we snapped and tossed.
Across the room Mom picked up her violin and started practicing the music for my brother's wedding.
For a moment I paused my snapping to breath in deeply. The swirling sound of lilting fiddle tunes, the methodical snap of the beans and the light breeze that drifted through an open window. Perfect, priceless Beauty.

When I was a little girl I loved reading "Grandma's Attic" books. Well, scratch that. I still love to read them. The story of life 130 years ago. My favorite part about it? Some days, when there aren't cell phones or (shhh!!) computers or the need to be somewhere five minutes ago, I get to taste a little bit of the same life that they did... way back then. And it makes me smile.

At some point in life I plan to write a post about what God has been showing me these past few months but for now... you can just enjoy a little glimpse into one simple thing I love.

No comments: