Friday, February 20, 2009

Haiti

There are some things that are marvelous about the La Colline valley in Haiti.

The first being: the mountains are splendid. I love stepping out of my house in the mornings on the way to the hospital and gazing at the circle of mountians that surround us. Whenever I feel homesick or lonely I just stare out my kitchen window at the beauty of this place...

The second being: our hospital just signed up for a goverment program that allows women to have their babies here free of charge. Which means there has been a great increase in babies being born here. My favorite thing to do in the morning is peak into the maternity room to see any new little ones!

The third being: the sound of the mornings. Some people have a hard time with the dull roar that awakens them in the morning here but I have come to love it. It is a mixture of donkeys and goats and cows and pigs and people and birds...
Now, I do have to say that when it's a goat right outside my window, I get little pleasure out of it. The sound tends to echo through the room. (and it also means that our goats are out AGAIN which is not a good thing)
But when the sound is more of a distant mingling of noises... I enjoy it.

These are but a few things... I'm sure I will have more in the days to come.

No comments: